Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
Fish Tacos just like you might find in Southern California or Baja.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup dark beer
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 lime, halved
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon capers, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 quart oil (for frying)
- 1 lb cod fish fillet, cut into strips
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 (10 ounce) packageof shredded cabbage
- For the beer batter, combine in a large bowl the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt. Blend egg and beer separately in a small bowl and stir into flour mixture.
- For the sauce, mix together in a medium sized bowl the yogurt and mayonnaise. Squeeze the lime into the mixture to make it runny. Now add the jalapeño, capers, oregano, cumin and cayenne pepper and stir.
- Heat the oil over medium heat until slightly bubbling.
- Roll each fish strip in the batter until completely covered. Deep fry until golden brown and crispy. Drain on a paper towel to cool off.
- Heat tortillas and place a couple of strips of fish in each. Garnish with cabbage, and top with sauce.