Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another recipe by Chefs Sam and Sam. From Chef Recipes Made Easy: A Lesson in Moorish Flavors, Food & Wine Magazine, May 2007. If you have a problem with monk fish, use mahi mahi or halibut. They make this dish in a cazuela (a glazed terra-cotta dish from Spain) but a lidded casserole is just as good. Also, they replace the fish stock with water. It will still taste delicious.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 large garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon spanish smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry white wine
- 14 ounces Italian tomatoes (canned crushed)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water or 1 1⁄2 cups fish stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread (crumbled into 2 tablespoons of hot water)
- 1⁄4 cup roasted salted almond
- 1 dozen littleneck clams, thoroughly scrubbed
- 1 1⁄4 lbs monkfish, trimmed of silver skin, meat cut into 1-inch pieces
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy casserole.
- Add the onion, bell pepper strips and garlic and season with salt and black pepper.
- Cover and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rosemary, paprika and bay leaf and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the white wine and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until the liquid is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, water and saffron water and bring to a boil.
- Cover the casserole tightly and cook over moderate heat for 5 minutes.
- Finely grind the almonds in a food processor.
- Stir the almonds into the stew and simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the clams, cover and cook until most of them open, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the fish and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer until the fish is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- Transfer to bowls and serve.
- Serve with crusty bread and a nice rich wine.