Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I'm planning a Brazilian party, and this recipe looks good. This is my translation of the original translation;-)
- 2 lbs white fish steaks, cut into 6 portions (leave skin on so it doesn't break up whilst cooking)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 3 tablespoons parsley
- Combine fish with lime juice and salt in a bowl.
- leave to marinate while you continue.
- Heat the olive oil in a large fry pan and add the onion and garlic.
- Cook until softened.
- Add the marinated fish, tomato paste, water and simmer for about 10 minutes over medium heat, or unti the fish is cooked through.
- Add in the coconut milk, pepper sauce, parsley and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve over white rice.
So wonderfully seasoned. I replaced the pepper sauce with 1 tablespoon Thai kitchen curry paste,the parsley with cilantro and keffer lime leaves. I think I would like to add Shrimp and scallops next time around to give it a more heartier stew. Served over Dal and Jasmin rice. Talk about bringing the world together through food. Thanks Jan!
There's nothing better than the traditional style of preparing moqueca. What I do is put onions, tomato, cilantro, chopped peppers and juice of a lime together in a large bowl, crush them together, then marinade the fish in it. Then I heat oil in a pan, add the fish and marinate, cook for a few minutes, then add a freshly squeezed coconut milk. I would recommend a freshly caught seabass for this. Please dont get me wrong, I'm not a brazilian, I'm a Filipino who just loves cooking. Enjoy!!! Nur Mujjer R. Nurani