1 hr 30 mins
This is a simple dish to make with a lot of flavor. Any of these firm white-fleshed fish can be used in this tagine; sea bass, stripped bass, red snapper, porgy, halibut, cod, haddock, or pollack. I adjusted the amount of lemon juice in this recipe after the reviews said it was too much. Thanks for the great input.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 3 -4 medium garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2Blend the herbs together in a bowl with the garlic & vinegar until pasty. Stir in the lemon juice & spices.
- 4Cut the fish into 2 inch pieces. Rub each piece with the charmoula & then place into the bowl to marinate (at least 30 minutes).
- 5Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- 6Slice the carrots in half down the middle. Peel the potatoes & slice thinly. Slice the tomatoes crosswise. Remove the seeds from the peppers & slice into large pieces. Set aside --
- 7Place the carrots across the bottom of a 9x13 cake pan (fat end, skinny end, fat end, etc). This becomes a sort of bed for the fish, keeping it from sticking to the bottom & assuring that there is always sauce underneath to give it flavor.
- 8Arrange the fish on top of the carrots. Dip the sliced potatoes into the charmoula & spread over the fish. Repeat with tomatoes & peppers. Sprinkle the garlic over the vegetables.
- 9Mix the remaining charmoula with the tomato paste, lemon juice, oil, & water. Pour this over the vegetables.
- 10Cover with aluminum foil & bake 35 minutes. Remove the cover. Raise the oven heat to the highest setting & move the pan to the uppermost shelf of the oven. Bake additional 20 minutes, or until the fish is cooked & a nice crust has formed over the vegetables.
- 11Serve warm, not hot.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fish Stew (Moroccan Tagine)
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 472.1
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 152.3 mg
- Sodium 258.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 46.1 g