Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
From "California Kosher" cookbook.
Make and share this Fish Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 1 kg firm white fish or 1 kg cod or 1 kg tilapia fillet, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3⁄4 cup celery, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, diced
- 2⁄3 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried orange peel
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a 4-quart heavy cooking pot, saute onion, garlic, celery, pepper and carrots in oil.
- Add tomatoes, potatoes, wine, water, tomato juice, lemon juice and all seasonings.
- Cover and simmer slowly for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Add fish. Gently cook stew uncovered for about 12 minutes or until fish flakes. Do not overcook. Fish pieces must remain intact.