Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
- In a large pot, cover fish with cold water.
- Add other ingredients.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- After cooking, place the jalapeños in a blender with about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of the liquid and blend (to be served separately).
- Place the onions, peeled tomatoes, garlic, cilantro, and the optional potatoes in a blender with some of the liquid and blend until smooth, return this to the pot.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- If served on the riverbank, mash as well as possible.
- Note: You may fillet the catfish and use the fillets for some other purpose, or you may include the entire catfish that has been eviscerated, but you do not need to skin it.
- The skin will slide off easily after cooking.
- You may use smaller catfish, split in two and the head split also.
- For larger catfish, cut into pieces to fit the pot and split the head.
- Optional: Serve with finely chopped onions, cilantro, and/or jalapeños floated on top in your bowl.
- Add as much of the jalapeño sauce as you like.
- Squeeze in lime for and authentic Mexican flavor.
- Note: If you use fish that needs to scaled, scale them first.
- All types of fish are good.
- I just like the catfish better.