Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I've served this dish many ways. Spoon it into bowls over thick pieces of garlic bread (best) or serve it over cooked rice. I've also made a tomato sauce and added this variety of fish to it and served it over linguine or rice.
- olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs tomatoes, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme or 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 fennel bulb, sliced thin
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups fish stock or 5 cups water (or combination)
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- 1⁄2 lb squid, cleaned and cut into rings
- 1⁄2 lb scallops
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp (preferably with shells left on)
- 1 lb mussels or 1 lb clam, cleaned and in shells
- 1 lb cod fish fillet, cut into 2 inch pieces (about 3/4 inch thick)
- salt and pepper
- In stock pot, heat oil.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add fennel, tomatoes, bay leaf and thyme and saute until veggies are tender, about another 10- 15 minutes.
- Add wine, water/stock, saffron, salt& pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 10- 15 minutes.
- Add fish, shellfish, and cover.
- Simmer covered, 5 to 10 minutes, until mussels/clams open and the fish fillet is cooked throughout.
- Discard any unopened mussels/clams and remove bay leaf.
- Serve hot.
Fantastic!!!! Tried this recipe on a recent camping weekend and the result were superb.... whole family commented that this was a dinner party recipe, praise indeed. Its easy to make too ideal for on camp when hob space is limited.