Recipe by Girl from India
The flavor of the mustard is very nice! A dish from Bengal. (Calcutta)
Top Review by Bevinda
Good! Was not really sure about the mustard, but it did give the fish a very good flavour. DH loved it, but I think it needs something more to give it that edge... will try a couple of things & let you know how it goes.
- 12 fillets fish (can use any white flesh fish like salmon)
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (or according to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 -3 tablespoons mustard oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 6 -7 slit green chilies
- 1 cup black mustard seeds or 1 cup yellow mustard seeds, ground to a paste with water. (I use black)
- 12 pieces banana leaves, to wrap the fish fillets in
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric, salt, sugar, mustard oil and green chillies to the fillets.
- Mix well to coat evenly.
- (Don't be afraid to use your hands.) Marinate fish for 20-30 mins.
- Now add the ground mustard and immediately wrap each fillet with a little extra marinade on top into individual pouches with the banana leaf.
- Steam for 20 mins in a steamer.