1/4 Photos of Fish Soup/Stew With Vegetables
Leggy Peggy's Note:
Years ago, I adapted this recipe from a 1970s paperback Booth's (Pillsbury) Fish and Seafood Cookbook. It has always had rave reviews from tasters here. It's on the stove now and two of our past exchange students, who are visiting now, want to know why I never served it before. It's quick, easy, tasty and nourishing. We love the herbs, so I tend to use up to a full teaspoon of each.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs fish, firm, white and diced
- 1 tablespoon oil (optional if bacon has enough fat)
- 1 cup bacon, diced (or more)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (capsicum)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (capsicum)
- 1 cup celery, chopped (optional)
- 3 cups boiling water
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4-1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4-1 teaspoon basil
- 1/4-1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 1If necessary, thaw and/or skin fish. Then dice into 1/2-1 inch pieces. Set aside.
- 2In a dutch oven or very large skillet, fry bacon in heated oil until lightly browned.
- 3Add onion, bell peppers and celery, and fry until softened.
- 4Add water, potatoes, seasonings and fish.
- 5Cook for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 6If your fish will cook very quickly, you can wait to add it with the tomato juice.
- 7Add tomato juice and heat through.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fish Soup/Stew With Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (483 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 277.4
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 16.3 mg
- Sodium 735.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 7.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: