Recipe by Chef Kate
This is a recipe by Agnes Pigram of Broome, Australia(and the name of a song written by her son and performed by the Pigram Brothers).
- 1 (2 -3 lb) fish, whole (if not the Australian "blue bone , any large, firm-fleshed white fish)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 cups steamed rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove flesh from fish and chop into chunks and reserve.
- In a large pot, place cleaned fish head and bones.
- Twist lemongrass stalks and tie in a knot. Beat them to release flavour before adding to the pot.
- Cover with at least three inches of water, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Strain liquid, discarding solids.
- Return fish broth to pot, add chopped vegetables, soy sauce, vinegar and, if necessary, water to cover.
- Add chunks of fish, turmeric and salt to taste and cook over moderate heat until fish is cooked.
- To thicken the soup, mix a tablespoon of cornstarch with water to a paste then add to the soup.
- Serve poured over steamed rice or with rice on the side, as preferred.