Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
(Classic Spicy Grilled Fish, Nepali Style)
- 2 lbs fish fillets, cut into 1-in cubes
- melted butter, for basting
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions (to garnish)
- bamboo skewer, pre-soaked overnight
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- 5 fresh red chilies
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon szechwan pepper (timur)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- salt and pepper
- In a blender combine all marinating ingredients into a smooth paste.
- In a large bowl, pour the marinade over fish pieces.
- Mix well, cover, and let marinate for at least four hours.
- After marinating, drain the marinade.
- Thread marinated fish cubes into skewers.
- Grill the skewered fish pieces on a charcoal grill, frequently turning and basting with melted butter until cooked through.
- Take the cooked sekuwas off the grill and generously brush with butter before serving.
- Arrange the fish sekuwas on the bed of rice pilaf, stir-fried vegetables, supplemented with tomato, cucumber and red onion slices.
- Sprinkle chopped scallions over the sekuwas.
- Complement the sekuwas with tomato or chili achar.