Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
For those who are allergic to fish, or those who just hate the way fish sauce smells.
- 2 tablespoons fermented soybeans (Chinese, black, fermented-this is VERY important!)
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sherry wine
- 1 -2 tablespoon miso
- Combine soy sauce and sherry in a small bowl.
- Optionally rinse off salt from the beans. If you have a garlic press, press beans directly.
- into soy sauce mixture otherwise just put beans in the sauce. Let this sit for at least 10 minutes so that beans get soft.
- Mash together and add miso.
- When ready to use, strain out solids.
- *The fermented black soybeans can be found in and Asian market. They are not the same as the black beans you would use in a black bean soup. These are coated with a white salty layer, and I bought them in a bag from the nuts/spices section of the store.