Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Forgo the bun and eat the fish piled with the slaw if you're watching your carbs. Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine.
- 236.59 ml milk
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tilapia fillets (5-6-ounce each)
- 236.59 ml stone-ground cornmeal
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (green onions)
- 59.14 ml mayonnaise
- 29.58 ml whole grain mustard
- 29.58 ml chopped pickled jalapeno peppers, and 1/2 to 1 tablespoon juice from the can
- vegetable oil or peanut oil, for frying
- 709.77 ml thinly sliced iceberg lettuce (about 1/2 small head)
- 4 soft hoagie rolls or 4 French baguettes, split and toasted
- Put the milk in a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the fish and set aside to soak until ready to fry. Put the cornmeal in a baking dish and add 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- For the jalapeno dressing, combine the scallions, mayonnaise, mustard, jalapenos and 1/2 to 1 tablespoon pickling juice in a bowl.
- Heat about 2 inches vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350 degrees F.
- Remove 2 fillets from the milk, shaking off the excess and dredge in cornmeal to coat. Carefully lower into the oil and fry until golden and just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt. Repeat with the remaining fillets.
- Toss the lettuce with the jalapeno dressing and season with salt, pepper and more pickling juice, if desired. Divide the fish and slaw among the rolls.