Recipe by Chabear01
Posted for ZWTII Greece taken from a small cookbook my late DM purchased at the Local Greek Festival here in Sacramento, put together by members of the Greek Orthodox Church in town.
Top Review by Chef h&h
I used tilapia fillets and fresh herbs as instructed. I added Worcestershire sauce and white cooking wine once I had the pan ready to be placed in the oven. I think it enhanced the herbs flavors adding an extra zest. I usually salt/pepper the fish fillets and let them stand in lemon or lime juice what ever I have handy 10- 15 minutes before cooking any fish. I find that this procedure removes some of the fishy smell of the fish. This is overall a healthy, easy tasteful recipe. I will make it again but I will definitely increase the amount specified for herbs adding the wine and Worcestershire sauce while the sauce is simmering. The dish looked lovely with thin slices of lemons of top. I was sorry I forgot to take a picture! I will next time.
- 6 cod fish fillets
- 3 large onions
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint, chopped
- 2 lemons, sliced
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse fish.
- Brush baking pan with olive oil.
- Place fish in pan.
- Saute onions, garlic, herbs, salt, and pepper. Add stewed tomatoes, crushed. Cook 20 minutes. Pour over fish.
- Pour a little olive oil over all. Add slices of lemon.
- Bake 325 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes until fish flakes with fork.