1/1 Photo of Fish Pie
1 hr 10 mins
We like this with carrots as a vegetable side dish. You can substitute 1 cup of the milk with white wine or vermouth. A deep dish is preferred, otherwise it is difficult to spread the potatoes over.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs white fish fillets (or half white and half salmon)
- 2 cups milk, maybe ½ cup more,depending how thick you want the sauce
- 4 ounces margarine or 4 ounces butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces peeled prawns
- 2 chopped hardboiled egg
- 1 tablespoon small caper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 finely chopped celery rib
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
FOR THE POTATO TOPPING
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Put the fish in a baking dish and season with salt and pepper.
- 3Pour over 1 cup of the milk and dot with a few flecks of butter, bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- 4Strain but reserve the cooking juices, remove any skin from the fish and flake the flesh in large pieces.
- 5Make the sauce, melt the rest of the butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour and cook it for 1 minute, start adding the cooking juices bit by bit, stirring all the time, after that add the rest of the milk, if still too thick just add a little more milk.
- 6Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- 7Mix in to the sauce: fish, prawns, eggs, capers, parsley, peas and celery, add the lemon juice and check the seasoning.
- 8Pour the fish mixture in a 1½ liter greased ovenproof dish.
- 9Mash the potatoes with the butter, sour cream and nutmeg, check the seasoning, and then spread this on top of the fish.
- 10Bake in the oven at 400F for 30 40 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fish Pie
Serving Size: 1 (443 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 804.5
- Calories from Fat 355
- Total Fat 39.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 252.2 mg
- Sodium 797.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 49.7 g