Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
This is Diana Cherian P.'s recipe from the Thursday magazine.
Top Review by mell_2
Made with Pangasius. I reduced the amount of garlic to 2 cloves as I do not enjoy garlic that much. I also increased the amount of onion to 1 cup and used 20 curry leaves instead of 10. Great dish.
- 1⁄2 kg fish, cleaned and sliced
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 pinches fenugreek seeds
- 1⁄2 cup onion, slices
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk (obtained from 1 cup of grated coconut)
- 1 teaspoon ginger, slices sliced thin and long
- 12 cloves garlic, peeled,washed and finely chopped
- 3 green chilies, washed and half slit
- 10 fresh curry leaves, washed and torn
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 pieces of fish tamarind pulp
Directions See How It's Made
- Grind corriander, chilli and turmeric powders.
- Mix the pepper powder with it.
- Heat oil in a pot.
- Add mustard seeds and allow to splutter.
- Once they stop spluttering, add onion, ginger, garlic, green chillies and curry leaves.
- Stir-fry until the raw smell of ginger and garlic is gone.
- Add the ground masala and continue to stir-fry on low flame.
- Pour the water into the sauteed masala.
- Add tamarind.
- When it boils, add the fish and mix well.
- After a few minutes, add salt to taste.
- Mix well.
- Add the coconut milk when the gravy thickens.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from flame and serve hot!