1/2 Photos of Fish Meuniere With Capers
This is from the America's Test Kitchen Cookbook, 2006 edition. This kind of made me think of chicken piccata, only made with fish. Use a flatfish, like sole or flounder for best results.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 sole fillets or 4 flounder fillets, 3/8 inch thick, patted dry
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 2 pieces
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1For the fish: Set oven to 200 degrees, and place a heatproof plate in the oven.
- 2Place flour in a baking dish. Season dry fish fillets with salt and pepper, set aside for 5 minutes or until moisture shows on the surface.
- 3Coat fish with flour, shake off any excess, and set aside on a baking sheet.
- 4In a large (12 inch) non-stick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over high heat until shimmering.
- 5Add 1 tablespoon of butter and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Add two fillets skin side up, to the skillet, and reduce heat to medium high. Cook the fish without distubing it, about 3 minutes, or until the edges are opaque and the bottom is golden.
- 6Carefully flip the fish (you may need two spatulas to do this without breaking it), and continue to cook for another two minutes or until the thickest part flakes when a toothpick is inserted.
- 7Transfer the fish to the oven to keep warm while you cook the remaining fillets.
- 8Wipe the pan clean, and repeat steps 6 through 11 with the other two fillets.
- 9For the browned butter: Heat remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a stainless steel skillet over medium high heat until the butter melts.
- 10Continue to cook, swirling the pan, until the butter is golden brown and smells nutty, about 1 - 1 1/2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- 11To serve: Remove fish from the oven and sprinkle with parsley. Add the lemon juice and capers to the browned butter, swirl to combine. Taste butter sauce, add salt or pepper to taste. Spoon the butter sauce over the fish, and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Sole and Flounder Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sole and Flounder Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fish Meuniere With Capers
Serving Size: 1 (217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 386.4
- Calories from Fat 246
- Total Fat 27.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 119.1 mg
- Sodium 613.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 22.1 g