Recipe by Irmgard
This dish is usually made with sole but my mother-in-law made it many times with orange roughy, which is cheaper and just as tasty. It is wonderful as part of a buffet menu or for lunch with rye bread.
- 2 lbs sole or 2 lbs orange roughy fillets
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 1⁄4 cups tomato juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 cup tomato ketchup
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the fish by cutting the fillets into 3-inch pieces.
- Mix together the flour and bread crumbs in a shallow dish.
- In another shallow dish, beat the egg with the salt.
- Dip the fish pieces first into the egg, then into the flour/bread crumb mixture.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the fish until golden brown.
- Pour the tomato juice and ketchup into a saucepan.
- Add the bay leaves, cloves, peppercorns and onions and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cool.
- Arrange the fish in a bowl or serving dish; pour the sauce over the fish and refrigerate overnight.