This dish is usually made with sole but my mother-in-law made it many times with orange roughy, which is cheaper and just as tasty. It is wonderful as part of a buffet menu or for lunch with rye bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare the fish by cutting the fillets into 3-inch pieces.
- 2Mix together the flour and bread crumbs in a shallow dish.
- 3In another shallow dish, beat the egg with the salt.
- 4Dip the fish pieces first into the egg, then into the flour/bread crumb mixture.
- 5Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the fish until golden brown.
- 7Pour the tomato juice and ketchup into a saucepan.
- 8Add the bay leaves, cloves, peppercorns and onions and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 9Remove from the heat and cool.
- 10Arrange the fish in a bowl or serving dish; pour the sauce over the fish and refrigerate overnight.
Browse Our Top Orange Roughy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fish in Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 274.9
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 80.9 mg
- Sodium 606.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 24.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: