1/2 Photos of Fish Fry and Chips
This is so good you don't need to wait for friday fish fry's or lent! Originally found this recipe in one of Barefoot Contessa's cookbooks. Only one I use now!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs fresh cod or 3 lbs haddock, thick ones,cut into 3 inch length
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated lemon, zest of
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 cup water
- 4 large baking potatoes, unpeeled
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaf
- 1Lay cod fillets on cutting board and cut into 3" pieces.
- 2Sprinkle both sides of fish with salt and pepper.
- 3In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder, cayenne pepper, lemon zest, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 3/4 teaspoons pepper.
- 4Whisk in water (add more if batter seems too thick), and 2 eggs.
- 5Pour 1/2" oil into a large fry pan and heat to about 360 degrees.
- 6Dip each fillet into batter, dripping off extra.
- 7Place into pan and do in batches to avoid overcrowding.
- 8Fry about 2-3 minutes on each side-will be lightly golden brown.
- 9Remove to paper towel to dry.
- 10Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve hoth with"chips" (fries).
- 11For chips, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 12Scrub potatoes and cut them in half lenthwise.
- 13Then cut each into fourths lengthwise.
- 14Place potatoes on a sheet pan with the olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and rosemary.
- 15Toss all to coat well and in a single layer with cut sude down bake 35-40 minutes turning after 20 minutes.
- 16Bake till lightly browned, crisp outside and tender inside.
- 17When preparing-do chips first.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fish Fry and Chips
Serving Size: 1 (418 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 463.1
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 159.4 mg
- Sodium 551.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 46.7 g