Recipe by jellyko
This is so good you don't need to wait for friday fish fry's or lent! Originally found this recipe in one of Barefoot Contessa's cookbooks. Only one I use now!
- 3 lbs fresh cod or 3 lbs haddock, thick ones,cut into 3 inch length
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated lemon, zest of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 cup water
- 4 large baking potatoes, unpeeled
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Lay cod fillets on cutting board and cut into 3" pieces.
- Sprinkle both sides of fish with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder, cayenne pepper, lemon zest, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 3/4 teaspoons pepper.
- Whisk in water (add more if batter seems too thick), and 2 eggs.
- Pour 1/2" oil into a large fry pan and heat to about 360 degrees.
- Dip each fillet into batter, dripping off extra.
- Place into pan and do in batches to avoid overcrowding.
- Fry about 2-3 minutes on each side-will be lightly golden brown.
- Remove to paper towel to dry.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve hoth with"chips" (fries).
- For chips, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Scrub potatoes and cut them in half lenthwise.
- Then cut each into fourths lengthwise.
- Place potatoes on a sheet pan with the olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and rosemary.
- Toss all to coat well and in a single layer with cut sude down bake 35-40 minutes turning after 20 minutes.
- Bake till lightly browned, crisp outside and tender inside.
- When preparing-do chips first.