Recipe by gailanng
Serve with sweet potato fries and the meal is complete.
Top Review by mama smurf
WOW!! This was delicious (of course I have always had wonderful results with Gailanng's recipes). I loved the salsa with the mixture of the flavors (DH loved it also) and we totally enjoyed the crunch of the fish coated in panko. Made for New Kids on the Block Jan-June 2012 tag game. P.S. Going into my Favorites of 2012. Thank you for posting.
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno green chili peppers or 1 serrano green chili pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 green onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Fresh Mango Salsa
- 1 medium ripe mango, pitted and diced small
- 2 tablespoons red onions, small chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander, coarse chopped
- 1⁄2 red chili, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- ground black pepper
- 2 tilapia fillets, cut into long strips
- all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- panko breadcrumbs
- peanut oil (for frying) or canola oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl put in the marinade ingredients, whisking to combine.
- Add the fish strips to the marinade and turn to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
- In the meantime prepare the Fresh Mango Salsa. Place the mango, red onion, cilantro, red chili, lime juice, orange juice, sugar and cumin powder in a bowl. Season the salsa with freshly ground black pepper; refrigerate.
- To cook the fish: Drain the marinade from the fish. Toss the fish strips with the flour, dip into the beaten egg and coat with Panko.
- Heat the oil in a large cast-iron pan or non-stick pan until hot. Lower the heat to medium and shallow fry the fish strips for about 2 - 3 minutes on each side. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Serve warm with the fresh mango chutney, lime wedges, and sweet potato fries, if desired.