Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a recipe I adopted and have yet to make..I will do so soon as it sounds great.
Make and share this Fish Fillet Braised in Vanilla-Scented Tomato Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup sliced onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed, lightly crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 cups peeled and chopped tomatoes, with juices
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 lbs white fish fillets, cut into serving pieces (orange roughy, cod or halibut would be good choices)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice or 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions, fennel seeds and pepper flakes.
- Cook until the onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the wine into the pan, add the vanilla bean and bring to a boil.
- Cook 2 minutes.
- Add the oregano, tomatoes and salt.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove the vanilla bean.
- Put the fish into the pan and spoon the sauce over it.
- Cover and cook on medium-low heat for 12 minutes per inch of thickness.
- Baste the fish occasionally with the sauce.
- When the fish is cooked through, remove the pieces with a spatula.
- Keep warm.
- Boil down the sauce until lightly thickened.
- Stir in the lime or lemon juice and parsley.
- Spoon over the fish and serve.