Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a recipe by Valli Little that I wanted to save here.
- 1 kg boneless white fish fillet, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 4 slices rindless bacon, chopped
- 4 small fennel bulbs, cut into quarters
- 100 g butter, plus extra
- butter, to brown
- 50 g plain flour
- 400 ml milk
- 200 ml light cream
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 900 g potatoes, peeled, cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 190°C
- Place fish in an 2.5 litre baking dish and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Add the onion, bacon and fennel and cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes until softened but not browned. Place on top of the fish.
- Place half the butter, the flour, 300ml of the milk and the cream in a saucepan over low heat. Whisk constantly until thick. Season with salt and pepper. Add the parsley and pour the sauce over the fish.
- At the same time as cooking the onion mix cook the potatoes in a saucepan of boiling water until tender. Drain, then mash with remaining butter and milk. Season with salt and pepper, then use a fork to spread evenly over pie.
- Dot with extra butter and bake on a baking tray in the oven for 40 minutes.