1/4 Photos of Fish En Papillote
Posted for ZWT5 from the Reluctant Gourmet. This recipe uses PARCHMENT paper. I like parchment paper-easy clean up and think it might be more healthy? Perfect for Valentine's or an anniversary. Serves only two, but suppose you could make more hearts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -12 squares parchment paper
- extra virgin olive oil or olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 8 ounces white fish fillets, 4 ounces each (such as sole or snapper)
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 ounces dry white wine
- 2 lemon slices
- zest of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- 2 sprigs dill or 2 sprigs about 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 16 thin asparagus spears
- 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, F.
- 2Fold each square of parchment in half and cut out a heart shape. (You have all done this before—in school when you made Valentine cards.).
- 3Open each heart and brush lightly with extra virgin olive oil or spray with olive oil spray.
- 4Sprinkle both sides of fish with salt and pepper; set aside.
- 5Wash asparagus and break off and discard the woody ends.
- 6Lightly spray olive oil on the asparagus and toss with a pinch of kosher salt and pepper and the lemon zest.
- 7Divide the asparagus in half; put half of the asparagus on each of the hearts, just to one side of the center of each heart.
- 8Put one piece of fish on top of each bundle of asparagus.
- 9Top with one sprig of dill (or half of the dried dill), a slice of lemon and either ½ of the butter or a light drizzle of olive oil.
- 10Splash half the wine on top of each piece of fish.
- 11Now, to wrap up these packets: fold the top of the heart over the fish and asparagus.
- 12At the top end of the heart, away from the point, fold up both edges (top and bottom) and crease well.
- 13Move down about ½ inch and fold up the edges, overlapping your first fold. Continue folding and creasing all around the parchment heart until you get to the point.
- 14Fold and crease the point twice.
- 15You now have successfully wrapped your fish en papillote--yeah!
- 16Place the packets side by side on a baking sheet, making sure the packets aren’t touching.
- 17Bake in the center of the oven until the packets are well puffed and the fish is cooked, about 10-12 minutes.
- 18To serve, put a packet on your sweetheart’s plate, place in front of her, and with a dramatic flourish and a “watch out for the steam,” carefully slice the packet open with a sharp knife.
- 19You watch out, too—the steam will be very hot.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fish En Papillote
Serving Size: 1 (278 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 155.0
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 76.5 mg
- Sodium 100.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 23.9 g