Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This Fish curry is a mix of Southern and Eastern Indian recipe,which is extremely tasty with steamed rice.One of my favorite recipes.
- 1 lb fish fillet (white fish e.g Talapia would be the best)
- 1 teaspoon spoo turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium tomatoes (cut into pieces)
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 4 red chilies
- 3 tablespoons dry coconut powder, paste (can ground the flakes or fresh coconut with some water)
- 2 medium onions (chop very finely)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup vegetable oil, to fry
- Cut the fillets into small size pieces(approx 2 x 2 inch).
- Wash it and pat it dry with paper towel.
- Mix salt,turmeric .
- leave it to marinate for about an hour.
- In a wok or frying pan(avoid non stick)heat the oil at about 325 degree F.
- Drop in the pieces one by one.In one batch fry only 4-5 pieces.
- Do not over crowd.
- On each side fry for 3-4 minutes until light golden brown.After frying all the fish pieces strain the burnt particles from the oil with a spoon.
- In the remaining oil fry the minched onions,garlic,ginger paste,cumin coriander,mustard seed powder,1 teaspoon salt and chili.Fry for 3-4 minutes .
- Add coconut paste and tomatoes.Keep stirring,till the spices look separated from the oil.(About 2-3 minutes).
- Add the water.If you want thick gravy you can add less water.
- Once the gravy starts boiling drop in the fried fish pieces and boil on low medium heat for 10 minutes.Turn off the heat.
- Garnish it with fresh coriander leaves and serve with steamed rice.