Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the favorite fish curry dish from the eastern part of India. I learned this recipe from my mother-in-law, who is a master in cooking this recipe. I have to practice it 3-4 times to achieve perfection. Try this curry with plain steamed rice--you'll love it.
- 2 lbs fish fillets (best with tilapia)
- 2 tablespoons garlic paste
- 2 inches gingerroot
- 5 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 4 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 tablespoon coriander powder
- 5 medium shallots or 2 medium onions
- 7 red chilies
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 3 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 big tomatoes
- oil, to deep fry fish
- 3 cups water
- In a grinder grind the onions, ginger, 2 bay leaves, red chili, mustard seeds, cumin seed all together.
- Preserve some cut pieces 1 cup) of onion.
- Cut small pieces of tomatoes.
- Make small pieces of fish fillets, about 3 inches in length.
- Clean them properly if you are using the whole fish and make it into small pieces.
- Take a big plate, put the fish in it and sprinkle 2 teaspoon of salt, two teaspoon of turmeric powder and the garlic paste.
- Mix all of them properly.
- Allow to marinate for 1/2 hour.
- Take a pan or a wok (preferable), heat it and put oil to deep fry the fish.
- Once the oil is much hotter, fry the fish, 3-4 pieces at a time, 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Keep all of them in a separate plate.
- When all the pieces are fried, clean all the black residues from the oil in the wok with the spatula and put 2 tablespoon of fresh oil in the it.
- Then put a pinch of cumin seed, a pinch of mustard seed, 2 red chili, 2 bay leaves, a pinch of aniseed (all together is called panch-phoran) and allow them to splutter.
- Then put the cut onion pieces and allow it to just a little brown.
- Then put all the ground paste,tomatoes,left over turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- Keep stirring it until the paste becomes a little brown (it takes around 10 minutes).
- You can also identify it by looking at the wok, that the paste will start leaving the oil and paste will now no more stick on the wok.
- The paste is now perfectly fried.
- Now pour 3 cups of water to it, or as much thick gravy you want.
- Once the gravy comes to boil, start dropping the fried fish pieces and allow to boil for 15 minutes.
- Switch off the gas.
- Use coriander leaf for garnishing.
- This dish should be served with fresh steamed rice and squeeze some lime some juice on top.
The ingredients in this recipe were fine... its just the quanities that I had problems with. If I were to make it again I would have to halve the mustard seeds, tumeric and salt. As it was so potent from this that I couldnt eat it. I also added a can of diced tomatoes.
great recipe, thanks for posting. i did my fish curry in a pure-clay pot and didn't have to marinate the fish because of the unique form of heat in these pots, no need for marination. Food cooks very well even without. After searching high and low i found Miriams earthen cookware pots on line . Food cooks great in these pots very healthy too.
This is an excellent fish curry full of delicious spicy flavours. My only criticism is the quantity of salt used 3 tablespoons is rather excessive especially to someone on a low salt diet! We have cooked it several times now and have reduced the salt considerably and it still works well.