Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
- 1⁄2 cup corn oil or 1⁄2 cup bacon fat
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, cored,seeded and chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) canchopped tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 2 1⁄2 cups fish stock or 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 lbs skinless firm fish fillets, cut into large chunks (catfish, redfish, monkfish, turbot, halibut, haddock)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or 3 tablespoons green scallion tops
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pan, add the flour and cook, stirring, to make a medium brown roux (the color of peanut butter).
- Add the onions, garlic, celery, and green pepper and cook until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomatoes with their juice, the tomato paste, stock or water, wine, salt, peppers, cayenne to taste, lemon juice, bay leaves and thyme.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add fish chunks and simmer 10 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle with chives and parsley and serve hot.