Happy Hippie's Note:
This is a very good, quick and easy chowder. Although the recipe calls for cod, any white fish could be substituted. I cook and and crumble bacon to garnish each serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 4 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups potatoes, diced
- 2 lbs cod, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/8 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (or to taste)
- ground black pepper
- 1 cup clam juice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (12 fluid ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 3 -4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1In a large stockpot, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- 2Saute onions, mushrooms and celery in butter until tender.
- 3Add chicken stock and potatoes; simmer for 10 minutes.
- 4Add fish, and simmer another 10 minutes.
- 5Season to taste with Old Bay seasoning, salt and pepper.
- 6Mix together clam juice and flour until smooth; stir into soup.
- 7Remove from heat, and stir in evaporated milk.
- 8Serve topped with cooked and crumbled bacon or bacon bits.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fish Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (501 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 447.2
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 93.1 mg
- Sodium 543.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 33.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning