Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very good, quick and easy chowder. Although the recipe calls for cod, any white fish could be substituted. I cook and and crumble bacon to garnish each serving.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 4 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups potatoes, diced
- 2 lbs cod, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (or to taste)
- ground black pepper
- 1 cup clam juice
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (12 fluid ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 3 -4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In a large stockpot, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Saute onions, mushrooms and celery in butter until tender.
- Add chicken stock and potatoes; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add fish, and simmer another 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with Old Bay seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Mix together clam juice and flour until smooth; stir into soup.
- Remove from heat, and stir in evaporated milk.
- Serve topped with cooked and crumbled bacon or bacon bits.