Continuing my recipe quest thru *Modern German Food* by Roz Denny, this recipe intrigued me. Iceland is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean, so seafood abounds & we often eat fish cakes (usually made w/white fish, salmon, tuna or crab). *Fischfrikadellen mit gruner Sauce* in German, this recipe uses white + smoked fish fillets & then compliments them w/an equally intriguing herbed sauce. I have not made this, but it will be on my cooking agenda after our return from the U.S. in mid-Nov. *Edited to Add* on 4/3/08 -- I have made this recipe now, modified the sauce slightly to add some flavor zip & added a note below the prep Re a substitution that works well. *Enjoy* !
FOR FISH CAKES
- 2 potatoes (peeled)
- 1 onion (divided per Prep Step #1)
- 9 ounces white fish fillets (skinned & bones removed)
- 9 ounces smoked fish fillets (skinned & bones removed, may use shrimp as I did & see Note below)
- flour (sml amt for dusting)
- canola oil (for shallow frying)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
FOR HERBED SAUCE
- 2 ounces mixed herbs (See note Re Herb Mix)
- 4 tablespoons Quark (or sub cream cheese)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons mustard (sweet variety)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (or 4-6 drops Tobasco)
- 2 eggs (hard-boiled & roughly chopped)
- Coarsely grate potatoes & squeeze out all excess moisture. Coarsely grate onion. Add half the onion to the potatoes & reserve the other half for the sauce.
- Chop fish fillets roughly, place in a food proc w/some freshly ground black pepper & whizz to a smooth paste.
- Combine fish paste w/the potato/onion mixture & add salt as desired, remembering the smoked fish provides a salt component. Shape mixture into 8 rd cakes & set aside.
- Wash out the food proc & make the sauce by blending your chosen herbs till finely chopped (See note below Re Herb Mix).
- Add remaining sauce ingredients + reserved grated onion & pulse to a slightly chunky puree - not smooth as it should have some texture. Taste sauce, add salt & pepper as desired, transfer to a bowl & set aside.
- Dust fish cakes lightly w/flour. Heat oil to a depth of 1/2-inch & fry cakes (in 2 batches as needed) for about 3 min on ea side over med-heat. Drain on paper towels & reheat oil to cook 2nd batch. Serve fish cakes w/sauce & a fresh tomato salad.
- RE HERB MIX: (Quoted from recipe) "Choose from parsley, chives, chervil, dill, marjoram, sorrel, coriander, basil, tarragon, borage, lovage, rocket or baby spinach. Use the more pungent herbs sparingly.".
- NOTE (Added 4/3/08) ~ When I made this dish, I unexpectedly found myself w/o smoked fish to use -- so I subbed Icelandic baby shrimp & it worked very well. If you make the recipe using this sub, I advise adding 1 tsp (or more as desired) of Old Bay Seasoning to the fish cake mixture.