1/2 Photos of Fish Cakes, Portuguese-Style
Addictive little fritters that can be eaten hot, warm or cold. Watch them disappear from the table as appetizers or eat a bunch of them as main dish. Traditional Azores recipe.
My Private Note
fish ca ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1(*If using salt cod: let it soak in water overnight to remove extra salt before using in recipe. Change the water 1-2 times.).
- 2In a large pot put the fish and the (unpeeled, uncut) potatoes, cover with water and bring to boil. Lower heat then let everything simmer 15 minutes. Remove fish from the pot and let cool; keep cooking the potatoes until tender.
- 3Remove potatoes, peel and mash.
- 4Shred the fish by hand or with a food processor. Mix with the potatoes and the rest of ingredients (but the oil). Season to taste. With two soup spoons (traditionally) or with your wet hands (easier) form about 30 small oval-shaped balls (around 1 tbsp each).
- 5In deep solid pot heat about 3" of oil until hot. Drop 4-5 balls at a time and fry until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and let cool on paper towels 10-15 minutes before tasting.
- 6Serve with a dip, or drizzled with hot sauce.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fish Cakes, Portuguese-Style
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1484.4
- Calories from Fat 1340
- Total Fat 148.9 g
- Saturated Fat 19.8 g
- Cholesterol 143.7 mg
- Sodium 673.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 19.6 g