Recipe by tomestesjr
This is my own recipe. It is a GREAT way to use left over fish. It looks more difficult than it is.
Top Review by CareyLee
I was pleasantly surprised with this recipe. There was some confusion because it doesn't say when to add the garlic, tabasco, Worcestershire, salt or olive oil so I just used my judgment. It also was quite runny so I was afraid these would not cook well, but once they set on one side flipping them wasn't really a problem. The flavor was decent but a little spicier than we like. I probably will be making again with some adjustments. Thanks
- 1⁄3 cup bell pepper (medium chopped)
- 1⁄3 cup celery (medium chopped)
- 1⁄3 cup onion (medium chopped)
- 2 tablespoons whole grain Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1⁄3 cup of chopped onion tops
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh finely chopped basil
- 10 soda crackers, finely crumbled
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2⁄3 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 cups of cooked fish
- Pam cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté veggies in olive oil until onions are opaque.
- Add dry seasonings to sauté mix while it is still cooking. Scrape down. Continue about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let veggies cool.
- Combine cornmeal and crackers.
- Add mustard and stir until mixed well.
- Add veggies.
- Crumble fish into the mixture (I leave the fish in large flakes and do not crush).
- Stir until all of the fish is coated.
- Add eggbeaters and stir until mixture comes together.
- Drop 2 heaping tablespoons onto a medium hot griddle or pan after spraying with Pam.
- Turn when set and browned (about 3 minutes).
- I spray the Pam onto the cakes before turning.
- Press down gently.
- When the second side is browned, remove to serving plate. I serve with my home made cocktail sauce.