Recipe by Clifford Boren
This is essentially a muscled up Bubble and Squeek with some flaked fish mixed in. It's a very good simple meal served with "Oh No! Not Broccoli" and a small green salad. You can use tartar sauce on the cakes, or some fat free gravy. If there are left overs, they make a good breakfast.
- 3 medium russet potatoes
- 4 ounces packages coleslaw mix
- 2 small frozen fish cakes (I like Gorton's Cajun Blackened flavor)
- dried red chili pepper flakes
- cajun creole seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut unpeeled potatoes into a large dice.
- Boil potatoes and slaw mix for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, nuke the fish cakes just under the time specified on the package.
- You are going to cook them some more.
- With a masher, smush the potatoes and slaw mixture together until they make a uniform consistency.
- Flake the fish and add it to the potato mixture.
- Add the chili and any other spice you might like to try.
- This recipe is flexible.
- Form into serving sized patties.
- Coat with Creole seasoning to taste.
- Saute in a small amount of oil until they have a brown, crusty surface.