Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
This is the recipe my mom has used all these years. It was a favorite when I was a kid and now my kids love it. I think she got it from Southern Living.
Top Review by carole in orlando
Nice flavor and consistancy in these fish cakes. I did bake them, used cooked tilapia and threw in some Old Bay Seasoning. We had these with fried potatoes, corn and tomato salad and tartar sauce. Have enough left over for two fish sandwiches tomorrow. Thanks, Carole in Orlando
- 2 cups cooked fish, flaked (I use catfish or cod, but any firm white fish will do)
- 1 cup cold mashed potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- honey mustard or ketchup or seafood cocktail sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the first 7 ingredients to a mixing bowl; stir well to combine.
- Shape mixture into 8 patties; dredge in flour.
- Heat vegetable oil to 330° (I use an electric skillet).
- Fry cakes for about 10 minutes, turning once, or until golden brown.
- Serve with prefered dipping sauce.