1/2 Photos of Fish Burgers With Fresh Herbs
French Tart's Note:
A light supper dish made from left overs! I had fish and mashed potatoes left after a lovely lunch - so, I decided to make one of our favourite comfort food dishes, fish cakes.......I added a few fresh herbs from the garden, a toasted bun, tartare sauce, lettuce (also from the garden) and we had a delicious light supper! You could of course also have these fish cakes with a salad, chips (French fries) or a baked potato - but we love them served in the style of a fish burger!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small onion, peeled & finely chopped
- 50 ml white wine
- 250 g cooked cod or 250 g cooked haddock or 250 g cooked whiting fish fillets, etc
- 250 g mashed potatoes
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (OR mixture of chopped fresh herbs) or 1 -2 tablespoon fresh tarragon (OR mixture of chopped fresh herbs) or 1 -2 tablespoon fresh dill (OR mixture of chopped fresh herbs)
- flour, for dusting
- 1 egg, beaten
- fresh breadcrumbs or dried breadcrumbs
- oil (for frying)
- 4 bread buns or 4 seeded hamburger buns
- lettuce leaf, to serve
- 2 tablespoons tartar sauce
- 1Put the onion in a large frying pan and pour in the wine. Bring to a gentle simmer, cover and cook the onions for 6-8 minutes or until cooked through.
- 2Remove and when cool, mix into the mashed potato with the herbs, salt & pepper to taste.
- 3Flake in the fish in decent-sized chunks. Gently mix everything together, then using floured hands, shape into 4 fish cakes.
- 4Lightly dust with flour, dip in egg and then in breadcrumbs.
- 5Chill for at least 30 minutes (important or they will come apart in the pan).
- 6Heat 1cm oil in a large frying pan. Fry the fish cakes in batches for about 3-5 minutes each side or until they are golden, crisp and heated through.
- 7Drain on kitchen paper.
- 8Cut the bread/burger buns in half and toast until a light golden brown.
- 9Spread with the tartare sauce and place some lettuce leaves on the bottom half.
- 10Place the fish cakes on top of the lettuce and top with the remaining half of the bun.
- 11Serve with a wedge of lemon, chips (French fries), salad, baked potato or just by themselves!
- 12Will feed 2 hungry/greedy people(!) or 4 people with accompaniments.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fish Burgers With Fresh Herbs
Serving Size: 1 (211 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 516.7
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 149.2 mg
- Sodium 896.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 36.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: