Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Serve with Raita ,radish,green salad in vinegar and green chilli
- 300 g skinless and boneless cod (or any white fish fillets)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 300 g rice
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed (zeera )
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 teaspoon carom seeds (ajowan)
- 4 green chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 10 green cardamoms
- 4 black cardamom pods
- 6 cloves
- 10 pieces black pepper
- 1 inch piece cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves (taze patta)
- 10 dried plums (aaloo bukharay)
- 6 pieces green chili peppers, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, fresh
- 3 pinches yellow food coloring
- Wash the fish and pat dry. Cut into 1 inch pieces. In a blender grind the garlic ginger and chilies to a fine paste. Mix the paste with salt, chili powder and ajowan. Smear the fish pieces with spice paste. Set aside for at least 2 hours.
- In the meantime heat the oil in a shallow frying pan, add the cumin and mustard seeds; they should pop and splutter at once. Add the chopped onions and , stirring frequently, fry them to a rich golden color. Add the chopped tomatoes, still stirring frequently, fry the onions for about 10 minutes until the tomatoes are reduced to a pulp. Add a little water, if necessary, to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Keep frying until the oil begins to separate.
- Add the fish and stir well to coat it with the tomato mixture. Reduce the heat to low, cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for 15 minutes until the fish is tender. Sprinkle with finely chopped coriander. Keep warm.
- Soak the rice in water for half an hour. In another pan boil the rice with 2-3 teaspoons of salt and plenty of water .when the rice are 34 cooked drain the water.
- In a large pan place 2 inch layer of rice at the bottom, then a layer of fish mixture and dried plums on top, repeating this until the fish and rice have been used up. sprinkle the coriander and mint leaves over the top layer of the rice Pour 12 cup water and seeds of cardamom over the rice. Do not stir. Mix the food color with a little water and sprinkle over the rice.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid and allow to cook for 20 minutes until the rice are cooked.
- Once the dish is cooked, leave it covered for a few minutes then remove the lid, fluff up the rice with a fork.