Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Although I haven't made this dish in ages, it was one of the first I tried when DH and I were dating, and I made dinner for him! For that reason, I'm glad I found this cookbook (Betty Crocker's New International) to share this sentimental (for us) dish. I remember it being a very tasty dish; it's not very colorful, but it does have a nice flavor, and when made with light sour cream, isn't too detrimental to the waistline! It's described as both Hungarian and Austrian in its origin, "betyar fogas", and the note says that it's often accompanied by boiled russet potatoes. I used to serve it with a colorful salad, since a white fish dish and white potatoes was way too bland!
- 1 lb fish fillet, patted dry (I use firm white fish)
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (can use either white or black)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream, at room temperature (if using light sour cream, bring to room temperature and stir well)
- 3 -5 tablespoons grated or shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- paprika (for garnish)
- chopped parsley (for garnish)
- Put fish into a rectangular baking dish (approx. 12 x 7. 5 x 2), sprayed lightly with a baking spray.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Over medium to medium-high heat, melt butter in a skillet large enough to hold mushrooms and onions.
- Saute mushrooms and onions about 3 minutes, until mushrooms are golden, sprinkling with thyme when about halfway through.
- Spoon mushroom and onion mix over fish and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle about 1 1/2 T parmesan (or to taste) over the mushroom and onion mixture.
- Mix remaining cheese into sour cream.
- Spread sour cream over mushroom/onion mixture, using a spatula.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Bake uncovered for about 25- 30 minutes, or until fish flakes with fork.
- Sprinkle with parsley and paprika and serve.
Husband says " This is a keeper" Made this tonight and it turned out really well, I added one green pepper to the onion and mushrooms for color. Thanks for posting!!!
This recipe is so good and so easy. I use light sour cream and it still turns out great. Perfect!
Just excellent! I used haddock to prepare my dish, and it was very flaky and delicious along with the mushroom and onion sauce. We will make again!