Although I haven't made this dish in ages, it was one of the first I tried when DH and I were dating, and I made dinner for him! For that reason, I'm glad I found this cookbook (Betty Crocker's New International) to share this sentimental (for us) dish. I remember it being a very tasty dish; it's not very colorful, but it does have a nice flavor, and when made with light sour cream, isn't too detrimental to the waistline! It's described as both Hungarian and Austrian in its origin, "betyar fogas", and the note says that it's often accompanied by boiled russet potatoes. I used to serve it with a colorful salad, since a white fish dish and white potatoes was way too bland!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb fish fillet, patted dry (I use firm white fish)
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon pepper (can use either white or black)
- 1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature (if using light sour cream, bring to room temperature and stir well)
- 3 -5 tablespoons grated or shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- paprika (for garnish)
- chopped parsley (for garnish)
- 1Put fish into a rectangular baking dish (approx. 12 x 7. 5 x 2), sprayed lightly with a baking spray.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- 3Over medium to medium-high heat, melt butter in a skillet large enough to hold mushrooms and onions.
- 4Saute mushrooms and onions about 3 minutes, until mushrooms are golden, sprinkling with thyme when about halfway through.
- 5Spoon mushroom and onion mix over fish and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- 6Sprinkle about 1 1/2 T parmesan (or to taste) over the mushroom and onion mixture.
- 7Mix remaining cheese into sour cream.
- 8Spread sour cream over mushroom/onion mixture, using a spatula.
- 9Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- 10Bake uncovered for about 25- 30 minutes, or until fish flakes with fork.
- 11Sprinkle with parsley and paprika and serve.
Browse Our Top Hungarian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fish Baked with Sour Cream
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 243.0
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 88.2 mg
- Sodium 366.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 29.4 g