Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
A traditional Balkan recipe. It's easier than it sounds, and quite tasty. The dough keeps the fish nice and juicy.
- If needed, scale and gut fish. Cut off head behind gills/dorsal fins, and cut off the tail.
- Wipe fish dry with a paper towel. Rub inside and out with salt and pepper and put in the refrigerator.
- Put flour, salt, and yeast in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Whisk egg, milk and water in a separate bowl. Add about half to the flour bowl and knead to make a soft dough. Add a little more liquid if needed,.
- Move dough to a floured work surface and kneed until smooth. Cut into two pieces, one a little larger than the other.
- Roll the smaller piece so that it is larger than the fish, with about 2 cm (1 1/2 in) border on all sides. Place on a greased baking sheet and put the fish on top, centered.
- Roll the larger piece of dough until it is large enough to drape over the fish and still have 2 cm (1 1/2 in) of border. Don't put it on the fish yet.
- Apply some warm water on the border area of the lower piece of dough. Place top dough on the fish and press the border areas together to form a seal.
- Allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- Brush the remaining egg/milk/water onto the dough to form a glaze. Bake 30 minutes at 180 C (350 F).