Recipe by **Jubes**
A creamy fish and veggie pie style bake. Individual serves topped with crumbs. Serves 4. This recipe was from an advertisement in a magazine. Can be made gluten/ dairy free as required
Top Review by RonaNZ
I was expecting a four star meal but this was definitely a five star! I did, however, make a mistake and added the juice from a whole lemon but the lemon flavour was what made it. I also cut up the parsley with the bread when I made the breadcrumbs. This is what happens when you read a recipe and then walk away from your computer! I also discovered that I didn't have ramekins (on holiday at the moment) so I made one big pie although I think it would be lovely served in individual dishes.
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs or 1 1⁄2 cups gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 40 g butter or 40 g margarine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery, thinly sliced
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour or 1⁄4 cup gluten-free flour, blend
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup soymilk
- 500 g boned firm white fish fillets, cut into 2 cm cubes
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Divide crumbs in half.
- Melt butter and pour over 1/2 of the bread crumbs.
- Add the olive oil to a frypan and cook carrot and celery until softened- about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the onion and cook for another minute.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir to form a paste.
- Remove the frypan from the heat and slowly stir in the milk. Return to heat and bring to the boil, stirring until smooth.
- Stir in fish, lemon rind and juice. Remove from heat.
- Spoon mixture into 4 1/4 cup (310ml) heatproof dishes and sprinkle over the crumbs/butter mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until topping is golden.
- Serve warm, sprinkled with parsley.