1/1 Photo of Fish are Friends Salmon-Less Spread
Similar to many who grew up in the Pacific Northwest (more specifically on Puget Sound), I ate a lot of salmon growing up. But that means now, on a raw food diet, I crave salmon more often than other raw foodists might. The solution: A raw, vegan salmon-less spread that parallels the real deal in both taste and consistency.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1This recipe requires a little prep. Presoak unhulled rye grains for 14 hours to allow sufficient time for softening. You may wait until they begin to sprout to use them in this recipe. You’ll also need the pulp from 2-3 juiced carrots.
- 2Place ¼ heaping cup of presoaked rye in a grinder, blender, or food processor and pulse to splinter the grains. Stop before it turns into a flour-like consistency.
- 3Stir rye and the next three ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside.
- 4In a blender, grind the sunflower seeds into a powder. Add lemon juice and seasonings and blend—adding just enough water to get a soft cream-cheese-like consistency.
- 5Add sunflower mixture to the ingredients previously set aside. Mix thoroughly by hand. The mixture should be flaky but should also hold together when pressed.
- 6Serve Fish are Friends Salmon-less Spread as an appetizer on cucumber slices, celery sticks, endive leaves, or on raw crackers. Serve on a bed of lettuce for a satisfying main course. Salmon-less Spread will keep for three days in the fridge.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fish are Friends Salmon-Less Spread
Serving Size: 1 (212 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 125.3
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 323.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: