Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
From the book Hot and Spicy that belongs to a friend
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4.92 ml grated fresh ginger
- 2.46 ml ground turmeric
- 9.85 ml ground coriander
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml garam masala
- 2.46 ml red chili powder
- 500 g white fish fillets, cut into 5cm pieces
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml fresh coriander leaves
- lemon wedge, for serving
- Spice Mixture:.
- Heat the oil in a wok or skillet over medium heat. Stir-fry the spice mixture ingredients until fragrant (1 to 2 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes with their juice, salt and sugar. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add the fish, cover and cook a further 5 minutes or until the fish is JUST cooked.
- Remove from the heat, divide into serving bowls and sprinkle with the fresh coriander. Serve with rice and the lemon wedges.
Made this for dinner tonight and served with naans. Delicious! Here are just a few changes I made: I fried the onions, garlic and ginger for a little bit before adding the rest of the spices, I didn't have enought tomatoes so I used 1 chopped tomato with 2 tbsp tomato sauce, I didn't add the sugar but I did add one seeded Serrano pepper sliced length-wise. I don't think my changes affected the true taste of your recipe which was just wonderful. thanks for sharing!