Although the original recipe calls for Halibut, I've found that any firm, white fish will work. If your fish is frozen, soak it in milk to help remove the frozen "fishy" taste. This is an easy recipe that comes together fast. Except for the fish, most people will have all the other ingredients on hand. I love this after a hard work day....quick, easy, and delicious! Original recipe is from the "Reflections of the West" cookbook, but I've made a few changes.
- Cut the fish in half to make 4 servings.
- Mix 1 tbsp water and 1 tbsp lemon juice. Brush the mixture on both sides of the fish. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper (Remember, there will be salt and pepper in the sour cream topping).
- Arrange the fish in a lightly greased 11 x 7 x 1/2 inch baking dish. Bake uncovered at 450 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes or until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- While the fish is cooking, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, green onions, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp ground red pepper. Once the fish flakes easily, spoon the sour cream mixture evenly over the fish.
- Sprinkle with the shredded cheese. Bake, uncovered, an additional 3 to 4 minutes or until the cheese melts and the sauce is thoroughly heated.
- Serve immediately.
I made this for dinner last night. Very easy and tasty! I might decrease the mayo next time but other than that, the only change I made was to increase the green onions. Low carb and delicious. Yum! Even my 9 yr old liked it. :)
This was so delicious. I made roughly half, and my fillets were rather thin, so I adjusted cooking times a bit. The sauce was so good that I lied and said there was no more and poured the rest of it over my boiled potatoes. I did not sprinkle lemon juice on the fillets, just used it in the sauce. It's a very easy recipe, very doable on a workday. Also served glazed Brussels sprouts.
"ALWAYS READ THE RECIPE IN FULL BEFORE YOU START and WITH THE REVIEWS by other". NOW taken all the suggestions from others and put them together to make an excellent meal. It's a matter of what your taste is. YES ! I all-way like to made the recipe once as written, the way the chef did it. Yes I made a few alterations, I can't leave anything alone! I have to play with my food. It's a matter of what your taste is....I now have two more or is it three ways to this. I made this and it came out much better for me. What I like is the idea what other reviewer did, You can get very good tip's as will as hint's, I do add this to my notes, to do. You got me thinking on this, I like it. Thank you and to the other reviewer who suggested what to do, I love it wend someone do the recipe with alterations, and it was a hit with everyone! I had several requests for the recipe. I Will definitely make this again for sure! Thank You!! P.S...Will tweak it till I come up with something I really like. Did I get you Inspired to play with your food that what I love about cooking have fun I would love to hear any improvements and/or variations you make to this simple recipe. "I like to think that I am an explorer of food." Enjoy! Y'all Have A GOOD Cooking Week and Happy Cooking to y'all!....As well !!....... NOW I can do my happy food dance Now! 5 Stars; no; It's over the top, More Like 8-10 to me is more like it.