Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I first had this at a friend's house. I have managed to recreate it here.
Make and share this Fish and Potato Pie recipe from Food.com.
For the filling
- 1 lb smoked haddock or 1 lb cod fish fillet, skin removed and broken into large chunks
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 pint single cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
For the topping
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and boiled
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 tomatoes, sliced to place on top
- Peel and boil the potatoes until soft.
- Drain and mash with 1/2 ounce butter and the tablespoon of milk.
- Add the cheese and mix well.
- In a wok or frying pan, gently fry the onions and garlic in 1 oz butter until soft and transparent.
- Add the fish,parsley, cream, lemon juice and salt and pepper to the wok or frying pan and mix well.
- Place the fish filling into a casserole dish.
- Top with the potatoes.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top of the potatoes.
- Place the sliced tomatoes on top of the potatoes.
- Divide the remaining 1/2 oz butter on top of each tomato slice.
- Bake in a medium pre-heated oven for 40- 50 minutes.
We loved this dish. It was comfort food at it best. Very easy to make.
We loved this pie-we used a combination of king prawns, cod and smoked haddock and followed the rest of the recipe. Its quite rich but very very tasty...I had seconds!!
3 stars because DH liked it and because the mashed potatoes were really good and I've made them again since...it's just that once the potatoes went onto the filling and baked, the consistency changed into a diluted disappointment with the juices from underneath. The fish was alright but I found the sauce too too rich from the cream. I'd cut it down for sure and use a lighter product. I baked this dish for 40 min at 350F.