1/1 Photo of Fish and Eggplant Stew
This recipe comes from West Africa, and is from Classic International Recipes. Because rivers, lakes, and ocean inlets are plentiful here, fish and seafood are used often. It is too "bland" as posted, so I have taken some liberties! Maybe not authentic, but tastier! Revised 06/03/2011.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb fish fillet
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper (may increase if you like it hot!)
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning, Zatarains preferred
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen cut okra (may use fresh)
- hot cooked basmati rice
- 1Remove any skin from the fish fillets and cut the fillets into 1-inch pieces; set aside.
- 2In a Dutch oven cook the onion and green pepper in hot cooking oil until the onion is tender but not brown. Once the onion is translucent, add the garlic and jalapeno pepper. Stir in undrained tomatoes, eggplant, tomato sauce, water, salt, ground red pepper, and creole seasoning. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until the eggplant is tender.
- 3Stir in okra and fish pieces. Cover and cook 10 to 15 minutes longer or until the okra is tender and the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork; stir occasionally while cooking.
- 4Ladle the stew into soup bowls. Spoon some hot cooked basmati rice atop each serving.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fish and Eggplant Stew
Serving Size: 1 (440 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 195.0
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 41.5 mg
- Sodium 850.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 20.7 g