Recipe by UmmBinat
For Welcome to Bahrain Tag Game! Another significant part of the Bahraini diet is the fresh fish of the Persian Gulf. A century of British rule in the Persian Gulf has also made fish and chips popular in Bahrain. Whether wrapped in newspaper and eaten with greasy fingers or served on white china with silver cutlery, fish and chips has come a long way since it began 150 years ago.
Top Review by Papa D 1946-2012
This is a wonderful recipe which resulted in a meal that brought back memories of eating fish and chips in a English village on the island of Palma de Mallorca. The fries came out nice and crisp and the fish had wonderful flavor and texture. The batter was so easy to make, I used Malt vinegar with the baking soda giving the fish extra flavor. Thanks! *Made for Seasoned Sailor and his Sassy Sirens ZWT 6*
- 4 potatoes
- corn oil
- 1 lb cod or 1 lb haddock or 1 lb other lean fish fillet
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour, plus 1/4 cup separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup water
- malt vinegar (optional, to serve)
- lemon wedge (optional, to serve)
- tartar sauce (optional, to serve)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut potatoes lengthwise into ½-inch strips.
- Cut fish filets into 2 x 1/-1/2-inch pieces. Pat dry with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil (2 to 3 inches or enough to cover) in deep fryer or Dutch oven to 375.
- Fill basket one-fourth full with potatoes.
- Slowly lower basket into hot oil. (If oil bubbles excessively, raise and lower basket several times.) Use a long-handled fork to keep potatoes separated.
- Fry potatoes 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown; drain on paper towels.
- Place potatoes in single layer on cookie sheet and keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining potatoes.
- Mix 2/3 cup flour and salt.
- Mix baking soda and vinegar.
- Stir vinegar mixture and water into flour mixture; beat until smooth.
- Dredge fish into last of the flour.
- Then dip fish into batter, allowing excess batter to drip into bowl.
- Fry 4 or 5 fish pieces at a time about 3 minutes, turning fish once, until brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Set oven control to broil. Broil potatoes 6 inches from heat 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp.
- Serve with malt vinegar, lemon, or tartar sauce.