1/3 Photos of Fish and Chips
1 hr 20 mins
I found this on alleasyrecipes.com. I'm posting it for ZWT 6. Great Britain
My Private Note
lbs. fi ...
Units: US | Metric
- 236.59 ml flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 59.16 ml beer
- 1.23 ml salt
- 88.74 ml milk combined with 6 tblsp. cold water
- 2 egg whites
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 907.18 g baking potatoes, sliced lengthwise into strips 1/2 inch thick by 1/2 inch wide
- 907.18 g fresh firm white fish fillets (such as haddock, sole, flounder or cod)
- 2To prepare the batter, pour the flour into a large mixing bowl, make a well in the center and add the egg yolk, beer and salt.
- 3Stir the ingredients together until they are well mixed, then gradually pour in the combined milk and water, and continue to stir until the batter is smooth.
- 4For a light texture, let the batter rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, although if necessary it may be used at once.
- 5In either case, beat the egg whites until they form unwavering peaks on the beater when it is lifted from the bowl. Then gently but thoroughly fold them into the batter.
- 7To cook the chips and fish, heat 4 to 5 inches of oil in a deep fat fryer to a temperature of 375*.
- 8Preheat the oven to 250*, and line a large shallow roasting pan with paper towels.
- 9Dry the potatoes thoroughly and deep-fry them in 3 or 4 batches until they are crisp and light brown.
- 10Transfer them to the lined pan to drain and place them in the oven to keep warm.
- 12Wash the pieces of fish under cold running water and pat them completely dry with paper towels.
- 13Drop 2 or 3 pieces of fish at a time into the batter and, when they are well coated, plunge them into the hot fat.
- 14Fry for 4 or 5 minutes, or until golden brown, turning the pieces occasionally with a spoon to prevent them from sticking together or to the pan.
- 15To serve, heap the fish in the center of a large platter and arrange the chips around them.
- 16Traditionally, fish and chips are served with malt vinegar and salt.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fish and Chips
Serving Size: 1 (543 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 543.1
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 193.8 mg
- Sodium 349.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 51.5 g