Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
I found this on alleasyrecipes.com. I'm posting it for ZWT 6. Great Britain
Make and share this Fish and Chips recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 tablespoons beer
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons milk combined with 6 tblsp. cold water
- 2 egg whites
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 2 lbs baking potatoes, sliced lengthwise into strips 1/2 inch thick by 1/2 inch wide
- 2 lbs fresh firm white fish fillets (such as haddock, sole, flounder or cod)
- To prepare the batter, pour the flour into a large mixing bowl, make a well in the center and add the egg yolk, beer and salt.
- Stir the ingredients together until they are well mixed, then gradually pour in the combined milk and water, and continue to stir until the batter is smooth.
- For a light texture, let the batter rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, although if necessary it may be used at once.
- In either case, beat the egg whites until they form unwavering peaks on the beater when it is lifted from the bowl. Then gently but thoroughly fold them into the batter.
- To cook the chips and fish, heat 4 to 5 inches of oil in a deep fat fryer to a temperature of 375*.
- Preheat the oven to 250*, and line a large shallow roasting pan with paper towels.
- Dry the potatoes thoroughly and deep-fry them in 3 or 4 batches until they are crisp and light brown.
- Transfer them to the lined pan to drain and place them in the oven to keep warm.
- Wash the pieces of fish under cold running water and pat them completely dry with paper towels.
- Drop 2 or 3 pieces of fish at a time into the batter and, when they are well coated, plunge them into the hot fat.
- Fry for 4 or 5 minutes, or until golden brown, turning the pieces occasionally with a spoon to prevent them from sticking together or to the pan.
- To serve, heap the fish in the center of a large platter and arrange the chips around them.
- Traditionally, fish and chips are served with malt vinegar and salt.
Great flavor and easy recipe for fish and chips. The batter was wonderful and adhered beautifully to the fish (I used cod). I did double fry the fries to crisp them up more. Thank you for posting! Made for ZWT8 Great Britain.
Flavor was excellent, and we enjoyed the fish and chips both with salt and vinegar and with lemon and tartar sauce. Instructions for cooking the potatoes need some work; some suggest blanching, some suggest cold water soaking (which we did), neither was mentioned here. We had some trouble with batter not clinging to the fish, and DS suggested rolling the fish in flour before dipping in batter to help this. Made for ZWT8.
This was great. I tried baking the fish in butter instead of frying, which worked fine but looked awful so I didn't take any pics. :D For ZWT8.