I found this on alleasyrecipes.com. I'm posting it for ZWT 6. Great Britain
Make and share this Fish and Chips recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 tablespoons beer
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons milk combined with 6 tblsp. cold water
- 2 egg whites
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 2 lbs baking potatoes, sliced lengthwise into strips 1/2 inch thick by 1/2 inch wide
- 2 lbs fresh firm white fish fillets (such as haddock, sole, flounder or cod)
- To prepare the batter, pour the flour into a large mixing bowl, make a well in the center and add the egg yolk, beer and salt.
- Stir the ingredients together until they are well mixed, then gradually pour in the combined milk and water, and continue to stir until the batter is smooth.
- For a light texture, let the batter rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, although if necessary it may be used at once.
- In either case, beat the egg whites until they form unwavering peaks on the beater when it is lifted from the bowl. Then gently but thoroughly fold them into the batter.
- To cook the chips and fish, heat 4 to 5 inches of oil in a deep fat fryer to a temperature of 375*.
- Preheat the oven to 250*, and line a large shallow roasting pan with paper towels.
- Dry the potatoes thoroughly and deep-fry them in 3 or 4 batches until they are crisp and light brown.
- Transfer them to the lined pan to drain and place them in the oven to keep warm.
- Wash the pieces of fish under cold running water and pat them completely dry with paper towels.
- Drop 2 or 3 pieces of fish at a time into the batter and, when they are well coated, plunge them into the hot fat.
- Fry for 4 or 5 minutes, or until golden brown, turning the pieces occasionally with a spoon to prevent them from sticking together or to the pan.
- To serve, heap the fish in the center of a large platter and arrange the chips around them.
- Traditionally, fish and chips are served with malt vinegar and salt.