Recipe by Deantini
It does not get much more British than Fish & Chips - this recipe is a lightened up version but still packs all the flavour
Top Review by Chef Tweaker
I had some problems with the fish that were my own fault so I will leave off stars this time. Chips: These were definitely a change of pace, If I make again I will sprinkle just enough...it was a little too much for me. Hubby isn't too keen on East Indian flavors so I don't forsee making them again. I do like those flavors though so maybe on a "girls night" I can try it again. Fish: The flavors were yummy!! Unfortunately, I was lazy and didn't completely defrost the halibut. When I tried to fry it, a bunch of liquid cooked out and the breading stuck to the pan. I even tried moving it to another pan but still had problems with sticking. Hubby and I agreed that we liked the flavors so we will probably try again. I may even try baking instead of frying.
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 catfish fillets or 4 talapia fillets
- 4 cups Baby Spinach, packed (optional)
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Peel potatoes; prick in several places. Microwave on high for 4 minutes or until tender-firm. Let cool for 5 minutes. Cut lengthwise into wedges.
- In large bowl mix half of the oil, cumin, salt and pepper, the full amount of the turmeric and garlic. Toss potato wedges in the mix.
- Arrange on greased rimmed baking sheet. Bake until crispy and golden brown, turning potatoes once or twice, for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in shallow dish, whisk together flour, paprika and remaining cumin, salt and pepper.
- Press fish into flour mixture, turning to coat; shake off excess.
- In large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat; fry fish in batches, turning once and adding more oil if necessary, until golden and fish flakes easily when tested, about 7 minutes.
- Add spinach if you wish; cover and steam until wilted, about 2 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges to squeeze over top.