1/1 Photo of Fish and Brewis
1 hr 15 mins
This is my Favorite Traditional Newfoundland meal. The ingredients may be hard to find unless you have a "Newfie Shop" close by but if you can find them, this is a treat. In the past, the hard bread and salt cod were meant to last the long winters that are present in Newfoundland and also the long time at sea for most fisherman (Newfoundland was once a prosperous fishing province and many people today still rely on the ocean for their livelyhood). You can either mash the potatoes, fish and hard bread together with the scrunchins or you can just serve each seperate either with the Scrunchins or Drawn Butter. Enjoy!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak hard bread overnight in cold water Soak cod overnight in large pot of water as well.
- 2In the morning, change water on cod again.
- 3When ready to eat, place potatoes in the same pot as the cod and simmer gently until cooked (about 20-30 minutes) Remove from heat and drain.
- 4Heat hard bread slowly until it comes to a boil and drain.
- 5There are two toppings with Fish and Brewis, Drawn butter and Scrunchins Drawn Butter Melt butter Add onions and fry until soft Add Water, bring to a boil and then add either flour or cornstarch to thicken.
- 6Scrunchins Place salt pork in frying pan.
- 7Heat over medium heat until grease is drawn from the salt pork.
- 8Add onions and then cook until tender.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fish and Brewis
Serving Size: 1 (772 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1425.8
- Calories from Fat 183
- Total Fat 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 250.5 mg
- Sodium 12091.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 182.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.6 g
- Sugars 16.9 g
- Protein 121.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: