Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This soup is served at The Ahwahnee Hotel In Yosemite National Park. Substitute the ale and cheddar of your choice if those mentioned are not available.
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced fine
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 quarts vegetable broth
- 4 -6 ounces sierra nevada pale ale
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 bay leaves
- salt, as desired
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 lb shredded fiscalini farms cheddar cheese
- sourdough crouton
- Heat a 6 quart stockpot over medium heat and add the diced bacon. Cook until bacon is 2/3's done.
- Add the onions and garlic and continue cooking an additional 3 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- When ready, add the butter and mix in the flour to make a roux. Add the vegetable stock and cook until desired thickness.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves, adjust the seasoning and keep hot until you are ready to serve. Garnish with sourdough croutons.
I have been searching for a soup recipe like this! We love the cheddar ale soup at a local brewery, and this is a great make-at-home substitution. I omitted the bacon and used chicken broth in place of veggie broth. I use store brand sharp cheddar and a New Belgium ale. It was a little less cheesy than I wanted, so I threw in another handful of cheddar at the end. Delicious!