Recipe by PaulaM-M
This recipe comes from First magazine. I haven't tried it yet but it looks pretty good. I don't usually use cornbread mix unless I'm in a huge hurry but I might give this a whirl. You could probably incorporate this into your homemade cornbread recipe.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package corn muffin mix, like Jiffy
- 1 (11 ounce) can Mexican-style corn (red and green bell pepper blend like Green Giant Mexicorn, drained)
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 egg
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, diced
- 1⁄2 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In 8" cast iron skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Transfer to paper towles to drain; crumble.
- Remove all but 1 1/2 teaspoons bacon drippings.
- Brush sides and bottom of pan with remaining drippings.
- Place skillet in over for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, stir together cornbread mix, Mexicorn, jalepeno, egg, cheese, milk, and bacon until combined.
- Spoon batter into heated skillet and bake 15 minutes, or until golden.
- Trade the jalapenos and cheese for fillings that taste best with your summer feast.
- Garlic lover? Stir 2oz shredded provolone cheese, 1tsp. Italian seasoning, and 1 clove minced garlic into batter until just combined.
- Like it hot? Stir 2 oz diced or shredded pepper Jack cheese, 1/2 teaspoons southwest chipotle seasoning (like Mrs. Dash), and 1 tsp whole Mexican oregano,(like McCormick), into batter until just combined.
- Subtle more your style? Stir 2oz shredded Gruyere cheese, 1tsp. herbes de Provence and 1/2 teaspoons seasoned pepper blend into batter until just combined.